Note from the Directors
The Concert & Symphonic bands did a great job on Saturday, at the Concert Festival Clinic and Rehearsal. Our guest director, Mr. Scott Rush, truly enjoyed working with the students and is continually amazed at the talent in our program. We feel very fortunate that he was able to teach and provide valuable feedback to the band students.
We are still in need of volunteers to Chaperone for Concert Festival on Wednesday, March 27th - (4) for the 7th Grade Concert Festival and (3) for Symphonic Band. Additional information and the links to sign-up are listed below.
Jeff Scott and Emily Wilkinson
Band March Madness continues, so please make sure you are reviewing dates and times as they can change (no changes this week, just a couple of additions)!
- Monday, March 25th - Mandatory Concert Festival Rehearsal for Symphonic Band (selected 6th, 7th & 8th Grade) at 7:10 am
- Monday, March 25th - Florida Trip Work Party 1:15 - 3:30 pm outside the Band Room (DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1425877)
- Tuesday, March 26th - Florida Trip Work Party 9:15 - 11:30 am outside the Band Room (DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1425878)
- Tuesday, March 26th - Mandatory Florida Trip Chaperone Meeting at 6 pm in the Cario Media Center (Library)
- Tuesday, March 26th - Mandatory Florida Trip Parent Meeting at 7 pm in the Cario Media Center (Library) - Check-in begins at 6:45 pm (We are aware that there is a conflict with the Choir Concert. Please contact Caragh Caddell firstname.lastname@example.org, if you need to make arrangements to get your packet and t-shirts.)
- Wednesday, March 27th - Uniform Check-in at 8 am for the Symphonic Band
- Wednesday, March 27th - Concert Festival 7 am Call Time for 7th Graders (this is a change from the original information sent home). The Symphonic Band (selected 6th, 7th & 8th Grade) will depart at 2:15 pm and return at approximately 8 pm.
- Wednesday, March 27th: No Lessons Academy
- Wednesday & Thursday, March 27th & 28th - Lollipop Sales in the Cario Cafeteria (see volunteer opportunities below)
- Thursday, March 28th - Bookworm Angel Drive Ends
- Tuesday, April 9th - Mandatory Florida Trip Rehearsal for 7th Grade - 7:10 am Call Time
- Wednesday, April 10th - Mandatory Florida Trip Rehearsal for 8th Grade - 7:10 am Call Time
- Wednesday, April 10th - Florida Trip Band Students Uniform Check-in (7 am - 4:30 pm)
- Thursday, April 11th - Depart for Florida - Call Time 3:45 am
We have a number of volunteer opportunities on our calendar. As always we really appreciate your support of the band! (Instructions to sign-up are below)
- Florida Trip Work Party on Monday, March 25th from 1:15 - 3:30 pm - DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1425877
- Florida Trip Work Party on Tuesday, March 26th from 9:15 - 11:30 am - DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1425878
- Florida Trip Check-in on Tuesday, March 26th from 6:30 - 7:15 pm - DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1425880
- Chaperones for Concert Festival & Uniform Check-in for the Symphonic Band - Wednesday, March 27th - See Below
- Lollipop Sales, Wednesday, March 27th - 10:30 am - 1:30 pm in the Cario Cafeteria DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1306447
- Lollipop Sales, Thursday, March 28th - 10:30 am - 1:30 pm in the Cario Cafeteria DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1421462
Concert Festival (7th & 8th Grade)
We sent home the Concert Festival Information and Itinerary with your student. Please make sure that you send in your $10 for CiCi's Pizza Lunch/Dinner by Monday, March 25th. Please note that for students participating in both bands, you will need to send in $20.
For Symphonic Band ONLY: If you plan on taking your student home from Burke High School you must complete and turn in the "Alternate Transportation Form" to Mr. Scott before Wednesday, March 27th..
We still need Chaperones for both bands.
- EVENT: Concert Festival Chaperone - 7th Grade Concert Band & Symphonic Band (selected 6th, 7th & 8th Grade)
DATE: Wednesday, March 27th
TIME: 6:45 am & 1:30 pm
LOCATION: Cario Gym
DETAILS: We need 4 volunteers (2 parents on each bus) to Chaperone for the 7th Grade Band Concert Festival. Time: 6:45 - 2 pm
We need 4 volunteers (2 parents on each bus) to Chaperone for the Symphonic Band (selected 6th, 7th & 8th Grade). Time: 1:30 - 8 pm
DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1421477
Instructions for Signing Up On-line
Follow steps 1 – 5 if you can't Log-in using the direct link.
- Go to https://www.charmsoffice.com/
- In the top toolbar menu, select "Enter" and then "PARENTS/STUDENTS/MEMBERS".
- Type in the school code "CarioMSBand" (case sensitive & without quotations).
- Then select the "Calendar" tab at the top.
- Don't select Enter Student Password (this is not required)
- Do use the left and right arrow to select the next or previous months.
- Choose the date and time you want to work. Click on the hand symbol to sign-up (not the RSVP).
Click on the Direct Link in the Band Volunteer Request Email
- This takes you to the "Volunteer Opportunities" screen. It will show the date and time of the event.
- At the bottom of this screen type in your name, phone and email address. Then click on the sign-up button.
Community Service - Bookworm Angels Book Drive
Dates: Monday, March 18th - Thursday, March 28th
What it's about: Bookworm Angels is a nonprofit organization that helps at risk children in the Charleston area improve their reading skills by providing new or gently used fun books to area public schools where many children are reading below grade level.
Participation Details: There will be two large boxes for collecting books - one in the front office and one in the band room. Please send in new or gently used fun books for pre-K through 8th grade reading levels. Please no religious, text books, or encyclopedias! So please look on your bookshelves, your attics, ask your friends and neighbors if they have any appropriate books they'd like to donate that could help a child learn the enjoyment of reading.
Volunteer Credit Hours: Mr. Scott asks all band families to volunteer at least 3 hours a year. This is a great way to fulfill our band requirement. Cario Band Boosters will also extend this to high school students seeking volunteer hours. Please have your student complete the Bookworm Angel Form and place in the "Community Service Box" in the band room.
- Donate 4 books and receive 1 hour of Volunteer Credit
- Donate 8 books and receive 2 hours of Volunteer Credit
- Donate 12 books or more and receive 3 hours of Volunteer Credit
Added Incentive: The band student that donates the most books in each grade will receive a $10 Gift Card from Target (donated by a Cario Band Booster Member).
Outside Concert Opportunities
If you know of any opportunities, please send an email to email@example.com and we will include this in the FTBR.
- Thursday, March 28, 2013 - Spring Swing CSU Jazz Band & Combo at Charleston Southern University at 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM at the Lightsey Chapel Auditorium. For tickets call CSU Box Office at (843) 863-5500.
- Thursday, April 25th - Cario Jazz Band Concert
- Friday, April 26th - Wando Jazz & Percussion Concert 7 pm at the Wando PAC (Please note that if you have never attended this concert, it is phenomenal! Come early to get a seat!)
- Thursday, May 2nd - Wando Band Chamber Concert 7 pm Wando PAC
- Thursday, May 9th - Wando High School Band Spring Concert 7 pm Wando PAC
NOTE: The May Wando Band Concerts can be used for Concert Credit for those working on Honor Medal & Honor Band.