Note from the Directors
Practice over the Summer! We highly recommend that students play their instrument over the summer. Just like math, when you don't use a skill set it will atrophy. Some students will take lessons over the summer. Here are some tools that can help your student:
- Use SmartMusic to improve your sight reading skills.
- If your goal is to audition for All-County, Region 4 or All-State, you can purchase the All-State Sight reading book for your student's instrument and level from Music Sights Unlimited (http://www.larrysallstatemusic.com).
- There are several summer band camps in this area that we recommend:
Charleston Southern Music Camp ~ $280 (Day Camp) $340 (Dorm Option)
Sunday, June 23 - Friday, June 28
Current 6th, 7th & 8th Grade
Brochures and Registration Forms are in the Band Room or on their website.
Summer Band Camp ~ Leonard School of Music
East Cooper Band Camp ~ $120
Monday, July 29 - Friday, August 2nd ~ 9 am - 1 pm
Brochure & Registration are in the Band Room & on their website.
Held at Cario Middle School Band Room
Furman Music Camp $470 ~
Discounts for students that were selected for All-State or Region Band in 2013
Sunday, June 9th ~ Friday, June 14th
Registration closed on May 15th, but they are still taking students.
Recommended for current 8th Grade Students or advanced 7th Grade
Jeff Scott & Emily Wilkinson
Cario Band Volunteer Appreciation
We want to thank all of our parents who have volunteered this year. Our band program could not be successful without you! Please come to our Volunteer appreciation event on Thursday, May 23rd from 6 - 8 pm at the Wild Wings Cafe in Mt. Pleasant. Drop in when ever you can and join us for some appetizers and fun!
Band Room Box Top Battle
It's your last opportunity to turn in your Box Tops and for your class to win the Joey Bag of Donut Class Party. There are 3 classes that are really close, and your Box Tops may help win the Battle! Deadline is Friday, May 24th ~ New Date!
6th and 7th Grade Year End Parties
We are in the process of coordinating the 6th & 7th Grade parties on the last day of school. We will need volunteers to bring in food and water/juice bottles. Parents will receive a Volunteer Request email; however, the front office doesn't have the final schedule for that day. An email will be sent out as soon as we get the confirmed schedule.
Cario Band Booster Year End Financial Review
We are required by our Insurance Carrier and as a Corporation to complete a Yearly Financial Review (not an audit). We need 2 - 3 volunteers willing to be our Financial Committee that will have a student in the band program in the Fall.
This is scheduled in July by the Financial Committee and takes approximately 1 1/2 hours. The President and Treasurer provide you with all the information you need to accomplish the task and are available by phone to answer any questions. You follow a five page check list and answer yes, no, or does not apply, and provide any necessary feedback or recommendations to the Board. You receive your 3 Hour Band Volunteer Commitment for the 2013 - 2014 school year. It is truly as simple as that!
This volunteer request is only set for July 1st as a placeholder; the team schedules the date with the President ~ DIRECT LINK: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=CarioMSB&v=1485804
7th and 8th Uniform Check-in
- Uniforms must be checked-in on Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Wash uniforms in COLD water and Dry on low heat or hang to dry. They MUST be washed before returning. They can be dry-cleaned, but the washing machine works just fine.
- DO NOT wash the cummerbund or bow tie!
- Please send your child's uniform on a hanger.
- Fill out the Uniform Check-in Form (posted on our Website Welcome Page) with your child's first and last name, their band class, and pin this to their uniform. There are some blank forms outside the band room if you forget. We MUST account for everyone's uniform.
Cario Band Beach Bash
Beach Bash Flyers are available in the Band room and is posted on our website "Welcome Page". The cost is $7 per person and the form and payment must be returned by Friday, May 24th.
Get a head start on your Concert Attendance Requirement for 2013 - 2014! Attend any concert over the summer where your instrument is being played, keep the program and fill out the Concert Evaluation Form. You might even get the first semester requirement done before school even starts!
A "Just for Fun" Concert
- Palmetto Bronze Hand Bell Ensemble
"Classics From Bach to Rock"
Piccolo Spoleto Concert
Saturday, May 25th at Bethel United Methodist Church
57 Pitt Street, Charleston
Note: This doesn't count towards concert attendance
- Tuesday, May 21st - Uniform Check-in for 7th & 8th Grade
- Thursday, May 23rd - 8th Grade Band Class Year End Party
- Thursday, May 23rd - Volunteer Appreciation at Wild Wings in Mt. Pleasant 6 - 8 pm
- Thursday, May 23rd - Wando 8th Grade Parent Orientation - Make-up 7 - 9 pm in the Wando Band Room
- Friday, May 24th - Box Top Battle Ends! (Date Change)
- Friday, May 24th - Beach Bash Reservations Due
- Friday, May 24th – 2nd Semester Concert Evaluation due for all students.
- Tuesday, May 28th - Jazz Band performs at Pinckney Palooza at 8:30 am in the Cafeteria. Call Time 7:45 am in the Band Room
- Thursday, May 30th ~ ALL Cario Band school owned home instruments must be checked-in.
- Monday, June 3rd - Cario Carnival - Jazz Band performs throughout the day
- Thursday, June 6th - 6th & 7th Grade Year End Parties
- Thursday, June 6th - Cario Band Beach Bash 2 - 5 pm IOP County Park