Notes from the Directors
6th Grade Only
- Practice Charts
The first practice chart is DUE this Friday, September 27. They are turned in to the "6th Grade" box in the band room. They must be filled out correctly, have student first and last name and a parent signature in order to receive credit for the time practiced. Remember, 120 minutes=a grade of 100. Practice Charts count as 10% of your child's total band grade.
All students MUST be enrolled and have completed the first assignment, "Send us your SmartMusic password".
- The video listed on the back of the instruction sheet was accidentally the old video from last year. SmartMusic has since updated these videos. We apologize for any confusion. The directors have gone over in both classes with the students on what they need to do noted below.
1. They do NOT need to turn in the instruction sheet with the questions completed.
2. They DO need to watch the videos entitled "SmartMusic Overview" and "Completing Assignments". To access these videos, students should simply open the software. They videos are found in the bottom left hand corner under "Featured Videos".
- Brass and Woodwind students will be receiving their first playing assignment through SmartMusic, Line #12 from their Essential Elements Book 1, on Monday, September 30. The assignment will be due on Monday, October 7.
- Percussion students will receive assignments through SmartMusic from Mr. Masie. The first assignment will also be sent on Monday, September 30.
Open Lessons Academy Spots
If you are interested in private lessons, there are a few open spots available. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mr. Scott and Mrs. Wilkinson
- Saturday, September 28th ~ New Family Welcome Breakfast 8 - 10 am
- Tuesday & Wednesday, October 1st & 2nd ~ 7th & 8th Grade Uniform Night 4 - 7:30 pm outside the Band Room (questions should be addressed to Caroline McKinney email@example.com)
- Friday, October 4th ~ SmartMusic Installation Codes Expire.
- Saturday, October 5th ~ Low Country Invitational Marching Band Competition hosted by the Bands of Wando
- Thursday, October 10th ~ 8th Grade Band Night Rehearsal at the Wando High School Field (not the Stadium at the Old Wando High School) 5 - 6 pm
- Friday, October 11th ~ Wando Band 8th Grade Band Night at the Old Wando High School Stadium ~ Call time 5:45 pm & location is outside the Laing Band Room.
Note from the Cario Bands Booster President
We have had such a great start to our school year, and I'm enjoying getting to know the new 6th graders and watching the 7th and 8th graders grow musically. It is truly amazing! I also can't thank the Band Booster Board and Committee Chairs enough for all their time and dedication they have spent to help make the start of the year go so smoothly. Of course none of this would have been possible without all the parents who have volunteered their time and talents since the first week of August!
It is important to me to be responsive to parent emails within 24- 48 hours. I wanted to let you know that my "Office Hours" are Monday ~ Friday from 8:30 ~ 9:30 am and from 2:45 - 3:30 pm when I'm in the Band Room. Due to my schedule and family obligations, I'm unable to respond to emails over the weekend or during the evening. My goal is to send out the "From the Band Room" email on Thursday, so I can respond to questions on Friday.
From the Band Room Email:
Now that students have their supplies, SmartMusic is installed and the 6th Graders have "played their first note", there isn't a need for a weekly FTBR (usually every other week now). All FTBRs are posted on our website http://cariobands.org/ftbr. In October I send more grade and event specific emails.
Thank you for your understanding and continued support of the band.
President, Cario Band Boosters
Band Text Messages
As you may know, Mrs. Wilkinson used the text messaging feature through our Charms Office database on Saturday, September 21st due to the cancelation of the Wando Marching Band exhibition. We are now using this free feature as a way to communicate important/urgent information. This will not be a frequent event, and we will continue to utilize email in most situations. If you did not get the Text Message on Saturday, September 21st, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your wireless provider (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile etc.). In your email note your student's name, your name, the cell phone number(s) (student's, and/or parents & guardians) and your provider.
Great American Magazine Fundraiser
If you have not sent in your magazine packet, please send it into the band room on Friday, September 27th. If you have any questions, please contact Amy Rankin (email@example.com).
Reminder: Only one Wando Band Marching performance counts towards your concert attendance. Wando High School games are not a drop off event. Middle school students must be accompanied by an adult. This is a policy set by Wando High School Administration.
Friday, October 5th ~ Low Country Invitational (Marching Band Competition) ~ This is an all day event culminating with a performance by Wando Marching Band (around 9 pm).
Friday, October 11th ~ Wando Middle School Band Night ~ Come hear Cario, Laing and Moultrie 8th Grade Students perform with the Wando Marching Band.
Friday, October 20th ~ Wando Marching Band Performance ~ Wando vs. Summerville